Search This Blog

Thursday, 9 July 2015

Teach Men not to Rape

Today I must admit that I lost my temper. And what made me lose my temper you ask? This did:


A small Facebook post. One that on the face of it has a great message behind it. But when you read it again you get to see that it is the embodiment of the sexist feminist rhetoric.

I am sick and tired of men and only men being branded as rapists. And I am equally sick and tired of women being told that they do not have to take responsibility for their own safety and actions. 

Do I condone rape? Not at all.
Do I blame the victim? No.
Do I think women should have no responsibility? No.

Why is it that these people think that a woman should have all of the freedoms in the world but have no responsibilities? Why should a woman be able to come and go as she pleases and act as she pleases in any places she she chooses and not have any responsibility? 

I know they have been said before but saying that women should not have any responsibility in protecting themselves is the same as:

1. Telling people to stop stealing instead of telling me to make sure my property is protected;
2. Telling cars not to hit people instead of telling people to look both ways before crossing the road;
3. Telling children to behave instead of telling parents to discipline their children;
4. Telling people not to get fat instead of eating healthily and exercising;
5. Telling people not to murder instead of telling me to make sure my person is protected;
6. Telling people not to get pregnant instead of telling them to use contraceptives;
7. Telling people not to have a hangover instead of telling them not to drink too much;
8. Telling water not to drown people instead of teaching people how to swim...

I'm sure you can think of quite a few to add... don;t be shy in the comments.

I am seriously getting sick and tired of the no responsibility brigade parading around in their feminist colours. I am sick and tired of being told that I am weak and cannot and should not protect myself. That I have to depend on others to fight for me by making me more of a victim. 

I for one will be teaching all of my children that:

1. Rape is wrong - perpetrating it or accusing someone of it without reason; and
2. How to protect themselves from any and all possible situations to the best of my and their ability. 

All of us have the responsibility to look after ourselves and take steps to make sure we are not harmed in any way... why should women be exempted from being responsible for their own safety.

But here is the real kicker that people who would post this message again and again don;t seem to get:
WE DO TEACH MEN NOT TO RAPE.

Rape is a crime in almost every single country. 
A conviction for rape usually carries a hefty prison sentence.
After being convicted (or even just accused) of rape a man will forever be treated like a rapist and will be shunned.
Rape is in no way condoned and this is taught from an early age.

And as a final thought - maybe feminists should actually look at the legal definition of the crime of rape to get a better idea of what rape is and what rape is not. ie:

Rape IS the penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.

Rape is NOT:

1. getting drunk and having sex with someone and regretting it the next day;
2. having a one night stand with someone and feeling guilty about it;
3. deciding the next day that you wanted to take back the consent you gave the night before;
4. being looked at;
5. being spoken to by an unattractive person; 
6. consensual heterosexual sex;
7. having sex and saying you were raped because your parents would be mad; or
8. cheating on a partner and calling it rape when you get caught out. 

Rant over for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment