Search This Blog

Wednesday, 4 September 2013

ANC Under Fire - Literally

Well, looks like the ANC are finally getting back a little of their own medicine. It seems that someone has taken the fight directly to their headquarters Loot Freely Luthuli House where a suspicious fire was started last night in the reception area. 

The ANC naturally says that the arson attempt was politically motivated and was an attempt to destabilise the party ahead of next years general elections. Political it may be, but I wonder if they have even stopped and thought one tiny, minuscule moment that it was a message being sent to them by people tired of them watching our country go up in flames and actively egging it on? Or how about the idea that the ANC staged the fire themselves as a means of attacking other political parties that are seen as threatening their majority?

Should be an interesting saga to keep tabs on...

Luthuli House arson attack political - ANC

2013-09-04 07:28
Johannesburg - The ANC believes that a fire which broke out in its Luthuli House headquarters in downtown Johannesburg on Tuesday evening was an arson attack and was political.
ANC spokesperson Jackson Mthembu told Beeld that the incident was a "political attack" aimed at destabilising the party in the run-up to next year's general elections.
He added that the ANC viewed the incident in a serious light.
A bottle containing an unknown chemical exploded in the reception area of Luthuli House at about 18:00 on Tuesday, Sapa reported. Security guards managed to contain the fire, which damaged a couch as well as the floor and ceiling. The building was evacuated.
According to Beeld, a number of top ANC members were in a meeting on the 11th floor of the building at the time, including Mthembu and Public Service and Administration Minister Lindiwe Sisulu. Justice Minister Jeff Radebe left the building before the fire. Earlier on Tuesday, ANC deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa and ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe had met with a Chinese delegation.
Mthembu told The Star that he went to the reception area after the fire had been extinguished. "There was a lot of smoke and a smell of something chemical," he said.
According to The Star, police sniffer dogs were sent in to search for any more devices. Forensic and ballistic experts were also at the scene, and the evidence, along with CCTV footage, will be studied.

Security at the building is normally tight. A fire broke out on the 6th floor in 2005, and in 2008 a man tried to set a security scanner alight, while there was also a bomb threat later that year, The Star reported.

No comments:

Post a Comment